What is TagSpaces ?
TagSpaces is an app which can be used for collecting, browsing and organizing of files and folders. It is running on Windows, macOS, Linux and Android. The Lite version of the app is completely free and open source, published under the AGPL license. It features a modern intuitive user interfaces build on top web technologies. Key use cases of our software are:
Create & Collect
With the TagSpaces Web Clipper you can collect web pages, bookmarks, geo-coordinates or screenshot from the Web. With the build-in advanced WYSIWYG Markdown editor you can create notes that can include tables, todo-lists, math formulas or diagrams.
Organize & Annotate
TagSpaces can connect to any folder on your hard drive and provide a convenient way to browse its content. You have the ability to add labels called tags to any file or folder. On top of that in the Pro version you can add descriptions and geo-tags to files and folders.
Search & Find - Be productive
Using tags along the folder hierarchy allows you to have cross references in the folders. The built-in search allows you to find files with any combination of tags. The PRO version features a full-text search on text files, which makes it a valuable substitution for Desktop search applications.
No Login ➜ No Backend ➜ No tracking
Privacy by design
Keep full control of your data! Since the app does not needs Internet or online registration to run, your files never leave your computer and you can access them anytime. Our apps do not collect any user data or track the user's behaviour. Your files safely stay with you, and always will.
Just files - No vendor locking
TagSpaces uses only human-readable text files to persist all the meta information such as tags, descriptions and colors. Since we do not have a database or a software back-end, there is no vendor locking and you can easily access your information even without our app.
Our desktop application is running completely offline on your computer or smartphone and does not require Internet connection. It is up to you to decide if and with which tools (e.g. Nextcloud, Dropbox, Syncthing) you want to sync your annotated files across different computers.
- Organize your photos, documents, music, recipes or invoices with tags in the same way on all platforms.
- You can assign custom color to every folder and tag, which makes the visual search easy.
- You can add a custom thumbnail and text description to every file or folder.
- In contrary to the most file tagging applications, TagSpaces does not persist the tags in a centralized way. As a consequence, the added meta information is not vendor locked.
- TagSpaces can be used as a full-fledged note-taking application similar to Evernote or Notion.
- You can create and edit notes in WYSIWYG text editors.
- Markdown, HTML and plain text are the available formats for the notes.
- Common blocks such as lists, headers, tables and embedded images can be used
- Our new Markdown editor supports even LaTeX math equations and source code snippets.
- You can create To-Do lists and organize them in a kind of offline personal wiki for tracking your projects, ideas or memories.
- Open your digital photos and images
- Read PDF documents and collected web pages
- Listen to your music and play videos
- Organize your e-book library
- Build you own personal digital asset management system
- The list of the supported files formats is still growing.
- Browse, preview, tag and search the files located there.
- Edit files located in the cloud without downloading and re-uploading them.
- Upload new files to the buckets with simple drag and drop actions.
- Create time-limited, sharable links to files on buckets.
- Create your own Dropbox or Evernote-like services only by using AWS S3, Wasabi or MinIO as back-end.
- MinIO is explicitly supported, allowing you to self-host S3 compatible buckets on NAS systems and manage them.
- Place any file or folder on a map
- Annotate maps with files
- Privately save favorite places
- Plan or document trips and places to visit
- Extract geo coordinates from photos with the build-in IPTC/EXIF support, so you can show them on a map
- We offer free Chrome, Edge and Firefox browser extensions for web clipping.
- Saving whole web pages or only part of them, allowing you to use the application similar to the many "read in later" services.
- Take a screenshot from the visible part of the webpage or create a bookmark to it. This, together with the tagging support allows you to use TagSpaces as a full-fledged bookmark manager.
- Using just files for storing the web pages has many advantages. The main one is that your collected content is not "taken hostage" in any online service.
Easy File and Folder Tagging
The application supports adding tags with drag and drop to files and folders, in a transparent, not vendor locking way.More on tagging
Tag Library with Colored Tags
You can organize your tags thematically in tag groups. For example the group "family" can contain tags which represents the members of your family. All those tags can have the same color in order to be easily visually recognizable.More on the tag library
Powerful Desktop Search
The application supports searching for files and folder in your current location or folder. It can be searched explicitly for a given tag or a combination of tags. You can even exclude results with a given tag.More about searching
User Interface Themes
Currently TagSpaces supports a light and a dark theme, which can be easily switched.More on the themes
File and Folder Management
TagSpaces features a set of basic file and folder management operations such as create, rename, move and delete.More on file management
Support for Extensions
The application can be extended with additional viewers for different file types and perspectives which represent your files for different use-cases.More on extensions
and taking notes
who want to work together in one place
Cancel anytime. Volume pricing
- TagSpaces Pro as a web application
- Connects only object storage such as from AWS S3, Wasabi or MinIO
- Host the app on your own infrastructure
- Simple to setup and maintain
- Create custom deployment configurations
- Use the app on mobile devices
- Run on NAS systems (optional)
for a custom quote
- On-premises web application
- PWA mobile app
- Multi-Factor Authentication
- White-label custom packages
- Development of custom extensions
- Read-only mode for embedding in websites
- Priority technical support
What people are saying
If you need an alternative to Evernote, check out tagspaces http://t.co/YUhRvssn4X (Open source, no cloud, dropbox/etc support)— Jürgen Geuter (@tante) January 10, 2015
@tagspaces - finally, a simple elegant cross-platform file tagging solution.— Jeff Beam (@threecleartones) 22. Oktober 2017
Since seeing the STACK of journals and binders I need to scan and thus discovering TagSpaces, I am reluctantly admitting that maybe digitizing all my notes for my book may not be the most horrible idea in the world. Very reluctantly.— Vixoen 🦋 (@Vixoen) October 21, 2020
@tagspaces Thanks a lot for the development of tagspaces. I am really glad with this piece of software.— Joep Hein (@joephein) December 11, 2016
Was really trying to find open way of 'doing' Evernote with filesystem. Almost thought of writing my own. Think I've found it: @tagspaces— Trystan Negus (@trystann) February 2, 2015
Wow. Just found out about the TagSpaces. Very cool stuff - Evernote, bye-bye and thanks for your continued support on Linux/Chrome platforms— Daniel Vladušič (@dvladar) January 9, 2015
Definitely. TagSpaces also supports storing metadata in per-directory hidden folders, which is probably the best way to go.— ∰ Jesse (@holocronweaver) 27. August 2017