Why should I use TagSpaces ?
No Login ➜ No Backend ➜ No tracking
Privacy by design
Keep full control of your data! Since the app does not needs Internet or online registration to run, your files never leaves your computer and you can access them anytime. Our apps do not collect any user data or track the user's behaviour. Your files safely stay with you, and always will.
Open and Extensible
The core of TagSpaces is open source and published under the AGPL license. The application is written with modern web technologies and is designed to be easily extendible with plugins. All our currently available plugins are published under the MIT license.
Intuitive and easy to use
TagSpaces is designed to be easy to install and effortless to run. TagSpaces offers you the same convenient user interface to your local files on Windows, macOS, Linux and Android.
Just files - No vendor locking
TagSpaces uses only human-readable text files to persist all the meta information such as tags, descriptions and colors. Since we do have a database or a software back-end, there is no vendor locking and you can easily access your information even without our app.
Our desktop application is running completely offline on your computer or smartphone and does not require Internet connection. It is up to you to decide if and with which tools (e.g. Nextcloud, Dropbox, Syncthing) you can sync your annotated files across different computers.
What can I do with TagSpaces?
Add tags and description to files and folders#
- Organize your photos, documents, music, recipes or invoices with tags in the same way on all platforms.
- You can assign custom color to every folder and tag, which does the visual search an easy step.
- You can add a custom thumbnail and text description to every file or folder.
- In contrary to the most file tagging applications, TagSpaces does not persist the tags in a centralized way. As a consequence, the added meta information is not vendor locked.
Create digital notes as plain files#
- TagSpaces can be used as a full-fledged note-taking application similar to Evernote or Notion.
- You can create and edit notes in WYSIWYG text editors.
- Markdown, HTML and plain text are the available formats for the notes.
- Common blocks such as lists, headers, tables and embedded images can be used
- Our new Markdown editor supports even LaTeX math equations and source code snippets.
- You can create To-Do lists and organize them in a kind of offline personal wiki for tracking your projects, ideas or memories.
Browse and preview your files#
- Open your digital photos and images
- Read PDF documents and collected web pages
- Listen to your music and play videos
- Organize your e-book library
- Build you own personal digital asset management system
- The list of the supported files formats is still growing.
Connect S3 object storages to manage the files there#
- Browse, preview, tag and search the files located there.
- Edit files located in the cloud without downloading and re-uploading them.
- Upload new files to the buckets with simple drag and drop actions.
- Create time-limited, sharable links to files on buckets.
- Create your own Dropbox or Evernote like services only by using AWS S3 or MinIO as back-end.
- MinIO is explicitly supported, allowing you to self-host S3 compatible buckets on NAS systems and manage them.
Geo-tag files and annotate maps by placing files on them#
- Place any file or folder on a map
- Annotate maps with files
- Save privately favorite places
- Plan or document trips and places to visit
- Extract geo coordinates from photos with the build-in IPTC/EXIF support, so you can show them on a map
Collect content from web pages with our Web Clipper browser extension#
- We offer free Chrome, Edge and Firefox browser extensions for web clipping.
- Saving whole web pages or only part of them, allowing you to use the application similar to the many "read in later" services.
- Take a screenshot from the visible part of the webpage or create a bookmark to it. This, together with the tagging support allows you to use TagSpaces as a full-fledged bookmark manager.
- Using just files for storing the web pages has many advantages. The main one is that your collected content is not "taken hostage" in any online service.
Easy File and Folder Tagging
The application supports adding tags with drag and drop to files and folders, in a transparent, not vendor locking way.More on tagging
Tag Library with Colored Tags
You can organize your tags thematically in tag groups. For example the group "family" can contain tags which represents the members of your family. All those tags can have the same color in order to be easy visually recognizable.More on the tag library
Powerful Desktop Search
The application support searching for files and folder in your current location or folder. It can be searched explicitly for a given tag or a combination of tags. You can even exclude results with a given tag.More about searching
User Interface Themes
Currently TagSpaces supports a light and a dark theme, which can be easily switched.More on the themes
File and Folder Management
TagSpaces features a set of basic file and folder management operations such as create, rename, move and delete.More on file management
Support for Extensions
The application can be extended with additional viewers for different file types and perspectives which represent your files for different use-cases.More on extensions
and taking notes
no strings attached
- Add tags to files and folders
- Manage file and folder
- Create thumbnails for images and videos
- Take notes as files
- Clip web pages
- Preview and print files
- Search files and folders
- Use the app in dark mode
who want to do even more
- Add description to files and folders
- View files through different perspectives
- Store search queries for later use
- Add custom background color to folders
- Geotag files and folders, show them on a map
- Create time-limited links for downloading files
- Connect S3 compatible object storage (AWS, MinIO) as locations
- Advanced and full text search
who want to work together in one place
- Use the app in a web browser
- Host the app on your own infrastructure
- Simple to setup and maintain
- Create custom configurations
- Run on NAS systems (optional)
- Support MinIO buckets
- Use the app mobile mode
for a custom quote
- On-premises web application
- PWA mobile app
- Multi-Factor Authentication
- White-label custom packages
- Development of custom perspectives
- Development of custom file viewer and editor
- Priority technical support
What people are saying
If you need an alternative to Evernote, check out tagspaces http://t.co/YUhRvssn4X (Open source, no cloud, dropbox/etc support)— Jürgen Geuter (@tante) January 10, 2015
@tagspaces - finally, a simple elegant cross-platform file tagging solution.— Jeff Beam (@threecleartones) 22. Oktober 2017
Since seeing the STACK of journals and binders I need to scan and thus discovering TagSpaces, I am reluctantly admitting that maybe digitizing all my notes for my book may not be the most horrible idea in the world. Very reluctantly.— Vixoen 🦋 (@Vixoen) October 21, 2020
@tagspaces Thanks a lot for the development of tagspaces. I am really glad with this piece of software.— Joep Hein (@joephein) December 11, 2016
Was really trying to find open way of 'doing' Evernote with filesystem. Almost thought of writing my own. Think I've found it: @tagspaces— Trystan Negus (@trystann) February 2, 2015
Wow. Just found out about the TagSpaces. Very cool stuff - Evernote, bye-bye and thanks for your continued support on Linux/Chrome platforms— Daniel Vladušič (@dvladar) January 9, 2015
Definitely. TagSpaces also supports storing metadata in per-directory hidden folders, which is probably the best way to go.— ∰ Jesse (@holocronweaver) 27. August 2017