No Login ➜ No Backend ➜ No tracking
Privacy by design
Keep full control of your data! Since the app does not needs Internet or online registration to run, your files never leaves your computer and you can access them anytime. Our apps do not collect any user tracking.
Open and Extensible
The core of TagSpaces is open source and published under the AGPL license. The application is designed to be extendible with plugins e.g. for visualization directory structures or for previewing different file types. Almost all plugins are published under the MIT license.
Intuitive and easy to use
Just files - No vendor locking
TagSpaces uses only human-readable text files to persist all the meta information such as tags, descriptions and colors. Since we do have a database or a software back-end, there is no vendor locking and you can easily access your information even without our app.
TagSpaces is running completely offline on your computer or smartphone and does not require Internet connection. It is up to you to decide if and with which tools (e.g. Nextcloud, Dropbox, Syncthing) you can sync your tagged files across different computers.
Tag and annotate files and folders
- Organize your photos, documents, music, recipes or invoices with tags in the same way on all platforms.
- TagSpaces features basic file management operations, so it can be used as simple file manager.
- You can assign custom color to every folder and tag, which makes the visual search an easy step.
- You can add a custom thumbnail and text description to every file or folder.
- In contrary to the most file tagging applications, TagSpaces does not persists the tags in a centralized way. As a consequence, the added meta information is not vendor locked.
Taking notes as plain files
- TagSpaces products can be used as alternative for Evernote's note taking and web scrapping functionalities.
- You can create and edit notes in plain text, markdown or HTML file formats.
- You can create To-Do lists and organize them in a kind of offline personal wiki for tracking your projects, ideas or memories.
Digital Assets Management
- Browse and preview your virtual library in one application.
- Preview your digital photos and images, open PDF documents and collected web pages.
- Listen your music and show your videos.
- Organize your e-book library.
- The list of the supported files formats is growing.
Manage files on AWS S3 / MinIO buckets in TagSpaces Pro
- Browse, preview, tag and search files located on AWS S3 compatible buckets.
- Edit files located there, directly in TagSpaces, without downloading and re-uploading them.
- Upload new files to the AWS S3 with simple drag and drop actions.
- Create time-limited, sharable links to files on buckets.
- Create your own Dropbox or Evernote like services only by using AWS S3 for hosting your files.
Annotate maps by placing files on them
- Place any file or folder on a map
- Annotate maps with files
- Save favorite places, privately
- Plan trips and places to visit
- Extract geo coordinates from EXIF data embedded in JPGs
Web Clipper - collect online content as files
- We are offering Chrome and Firefox browser extensions for web clipping.
- Saving whole web pages or only part of them, allowing you to use the application similar to the many "read in later" services.
- Take a screenshot from the visible part of the webpage or create a bookmark to it. This, together with the tagging support allows you to use TagSpaces as a full fledged bookmark manager.
Easy File & Folder Tagging
The application supports adding tags with drag and drop to files and folders, in a transparent, not vendor locking way.Learn more about working with tags
Tag Library with Colored Tags
You can organize your tags thematically in groups, for example the tag group "family" can contain tags with the names of your family member, useful for photo tagging. In addition you can assign different color to your tags.Learn more about the tag library
The application support searching for files in your current location. It can be searched explicitly for a given tag or a combination of tags (all tags, any of the tags or excluding a specific tag).Learn more about searching
User Interface Themes
Currently TagSpaces supports a light and a dark theme, which can be switched with one click.Learn more about dark mode
File and Folder Management
TagSpaces features a set of basic file and folder management operations such as create, rename, move and delete.Learn more about file management
Go further with extensions
The application can be extended with additional viewers and editors for different file types and perspectives for visualizing of folder structures.Learn more about extensions
suitable for novice users
by offering additional features
by offering a web interface
What people are saying
If you need an alternative to Evernote, check out tagspaces http://t.co/YUhRvssn4X (Open source, no cloud, dropbox/etc support)— Jürgen Geuter (@tante) January 10, 2015
@tagspaces - finally, a simple elegant cross-platform file tagging solution.— Jeff Beam (@threecleartones) 22. Oktober 2017
Since seeing the STACK of journals and binders I need to scan and thus discovering TagSpaces, I am reluctantly admitting that maybe digitizing all my notes for my book may not be the most horrible idea in the world. Very reluctantly.— Vixoen 🦋 (@Vixoen) October 21, 2020
@tagspaces Thanks a lot for the development of tagspaces. I am really glad with this piece of software.— Joep Hein (@joephein) December 11, 2016
Was really trying to find open way of 'doing' Evernote with filesystem. Almost thought of writing my own. Think I've found it: @tagspaces— Trystan Negus (@trystann) February 2, 2015
Wow. Just found out about the TagSpaces. Very cool stuff - Evernote, bye-bye and thanks for your continued support on Linux/Chrome platforms— Daniel Vladušič (@dvladar) January 9, 2015
Definitely. TagSpaces also supports storing metadata in per-directory hidden folders, which is probably the best way to go.— ∰ Jesse (@holocronweaver) 27. August 2017